By default, Shopify allows all customers to create an account, which is great for normal B2C/retail customers. The more, the merrier.
However, if you run a B2B website, you will want to tightly manage customers from registration. You also need to collect more information to verify their accounts.
With the Wholesale Registration Forms feature available on Essential plan ($25/mon) and Advanced plan ($50/mon) in the B2B/Wholesale Solution app, you can:
- Expand the default form with more useful customer fields in 9 different input types.
- Create separate Registration forms besides the default forms.
- Manage all registrations in the grid for further action and analytics.
- Review and approve registrations before creating a customer account on Shopify.
- Add a tag for approved customers to filter them out more easily.
- Information from custom fields in registration forms will be synced to Shopify Customer Notes.
To create a registration form, please go to Apps > B2B/Wholesale Solution > Dashboard and enable the Wholesale Registration Form feature.
Then scroll down to the Wholesale Registration Form on the Admin Panel.
1. Expand Default Form of Shopify
Shopify Registration Form only has some general fields, including First name, Last name, Email, and Address. Thus, it is not enough to cover customer information. Now, you can expand the form with more fields.
Please go to Forms.
Choose the Edit icon to customize the Login Form.
1.1. General settings
Under General Settings:
- By default, the Default Shopify Form is set to Enable. You can check the form at our demo store.
- Or, if you do not want every customer to create an account, you can set Status to Disable
Save customers' information after they register on:
By default, all registrations are automatically activated which is not good to manage B2B/Wholesale accounts. At that time, you can choose to manage registration information among four ways:
- Create Accounts on both Shopify & App: When customers finish sign-up, their accounts are auto-approved with a specific tag(s)
- Only Create Accounts on App with No Password Field: When customers finish sign-up, their registrations will be saved on the app to be reviewed. Then, an invitation will be sent to approved customers via email to set up their account with a password later
- Only Create Accounts on App with Password Field: When customers finish sign-up, their registrations will be saved on the app to be reviewed. Then, a notification will be sent via email for approved customers and they can access the website from there
Redirect customers to a custom page after registration
You can choose to redirect customers to Dashboard or a customized page after registration. We’d suggest you create a customized page with messages saying “Your account is being reviewed” so that they can be aware of your process.
Add tags for customers accounts
Enter the tags to assign to customers accounts registered via the form.
Templates: There are several built-in templates to help you create a form more easily.
1.2. Registration Form Design
There are several input types available to create any custom fields as wished, including Multiple Checkbox; Date Field; Header; Number; Radio Options; Dropdown Selection(s); Text Field; Text Area; and EU VAT Validation. Also, the Upload File field allows businesses to upload relevant files (such as the company portfolio). Allowed file types are .csv, .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .mp3, .png, .pdf, .wav, .xls, .xlsx, .zip, .txt, .mp4 and the file must not exceed 2MB.
We will keep updating the input types to make them more convenient for your demands.
Drag and drop to add a new field and edit the text label, help text, and placeholder easily.
Remember to save the form in the end.
Here is an example of the custom form in the storefront.
1.3. EU VAT Validation
One of the most common pieces of information to help verify the business of customers is VAT Validation. In the app, we gather all VATs from EU countries so that it can check the VAT number in the registration form.
Also, you can go to the VAT Validation tab to enter a number to check the business information.
You should inform customers clearly when they fill out the form. To do so, please go to the Translation tab and enter the message.
2. Create a new registration form
In case you want to separate registrations from the first place and auto add a tag for each group, then you can create multiple forms at ease.
2.1. General settings
The steps to create a registration form are similar as stated above, the difference is that the new registration form will be created as a Shopify Pages.
2.2. Registration Form Design
Save to activate the form in the storefront.
2.3. Registration Form Page
After the form is saved, a page will be created accordingly in Online Stores => Pages.
Please go to the Page to edit Metadata information and add more information to the form.
3. Email Configuration
You can set up an email to your store email address to send notifications about new registrations. This email can help you act faster on managing your customers’ accounts and boost sales to your store.
Under Email Configuration,
Enable the rule You have a new register.
Under Send to, type in your email address to receive notifications of new registrations.
Under Email Subject and Email body (HTML), you can customize the message as you wish or keep our default message.
Click Save to activate the rule.
Hope the guide is helpful and let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further help from us.